Monday, July 26, 2021

Reasons to Start Again

For the breath of new beginning, the stomach-knotting tension of preparing to leap,

how it tightens the best web I can make for landing in. 

To honor the construction of what is intricately made and yet untested.


For practice protecting the fragile and not-yet-realized: 

children, the neglected; ancient wisdom and this still-beating heart.


Because when the wind blows a body sideways, 

sometimes the best way to keep from falling over 

is by moving with it; because watching a baby learning to walk, 

not stopping until he hit the next resting place for his hands, 

or fell down, reminded me of this. 


Because sometimes the best I can offer anyone else in an age of senseless killing, 

visible and invisible, is a living reminder that death doesn’t get the last word.


Because the opening notes of a familiar song are enough to remind me what music can do.

Because I refuse to fail for nothing. Because I want each heartbreak to count for something. 


Because the decaying bits of once-flowering dreams 

that died on the vine to fall into this soil 

have left their bodies in it, the inanimate materials of their still-future lives, 

and I want to bury these hands in their essence and feel 

what’s still getting ready to be born. 














No comments:

Post a Comment