Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Card Tricks and Other Joys of Research

Sometimes, when I’m all out of sparks, I open one of my magic books. I have about five of these, acquired a few years back when I had a magician character in mind. 


That was my stated reason, anyway, but I confess that it is also true that I just think magic books are cool, and writing gives me all sorts of excuses to go looking into cool things like a little kid on an extended break. To the dismissive voice that might be lurking in the shadows waiting to shout, “Dilettante!” –I can call these pursuits Research (note capital 'R'). This because I call myself Writer (see capital 'W').  It’s a title ripe for claiming, apparently, somewhat like Napoleon's crown, but with much less bloodshed.  All you have to do is keep showing up with a pen in hand and move it along. 


One of my favorite writers of all time is Percival Everett, and I was delighted to learn, in an interview I listened to last year, that while he found the process of writing books generally difficult, angst-ridden, and unpleasurable (while also unavoidable), he found research to be a lot of fun. I was grateful that he dispelled the myth of writing as a grand old time. I have heard that it is for some, and I don’t think they are lying, but I’ve only rarely found it to be anywhere close to unpainful, much like necessary exercise.  That’s probably because my idea of fun is getting a bunch of margaritas and waxing loopy while making up song lyrics with friends, speaking in tongues and accents if with small children, or, if alone, laughing at cat memes. 


Point being, research has benefits. Among these is that when one of the horsemen of distraction come in (Thank you, Sarah, for sharing this "Four Horsemen of Procrastination" meme with me after I wrote about the challenges that come when the muse gets replaced by "That Guy"), to  ask, while I am trying to work out some interpretation of a proverb or philosophical paradox, something like, “Do you know any card tricks?” –– I can open an as-yet-unopened resource and compose an answer primarily of found passages and annotations. Such as this one, culled from the introduction to The Royal Road to Card Magic, by Jean Hugard and Frederick Braue.:


Modern magic is a vocation, a national convention

conjuring an art. In return for time and effort,

reap friends and spectators.


There are many  

whenever a pack is uninitiated, 

dumbfounding with impressions

of skill. 


There is always something 

in the effective sleight, 

unless striking feats from

wonder to wonder.


I wait for some response. The dark horseman of distraction slinks off. He was apparently hoping I would join him in some sort of illicit internet foray into all manner of card tricks.


Here the internal voice gets a moment of jubilation. "Hah!" she erupts,  "Another point for research!" Gentle reader, forgive her this cocky jubilation, as she is an endangered creature riddled with doubt.  And to the retreating back of this hooded gangster, she now shouts: “I told you I was trying to get to these proverbs! Now what?!” 


And now I may get back to writing this thing I am meaning to write.


Image by Robert Bjorken on flickr under a Creative Commons Attribution No-Derivs 2.0 Generic license.


No comments:

Post a Comment